Louisville Library Flood-Mitigation Project
MSD and Louisville Free Public Library shared the cost of a flood-mitigation project at the Main Branch of the Louisville Free Public Library after it sustained more than $5 million in damages from flooding. Corradino created a protection plan for the Main Branch that includes:
• Disconnecting storm and sanitary sewer connections to the combined sewer system;
• Installing stormwater storage and infiltration for catching runoff from the building roof, parking lot and sidewalks;
• Installing a stormwater pumping station to force excess flows from stormwater storage to a separated storm sewer;
• Installing a sanitary pumping station to lift flows from the building—including basement plumbing—and to direct those flows to the sanitary sewer; and,
• Incorporating the ability to decrease the pumping rate from the station to prevent downstream overflows and sanitary sewer surcharge.
The Louisville Library, KY